Volume Two:

Kosova. North Park. Chicago. Life as an adult.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Books

I've never really been a reader, perse. Though, as curiosity, boredom, and bargain-pressure may have it, I purchased four books at Urbana. I have a slight fear in the back of my mind that I will lose my motivation after one or two, and not start or finish the others for quite some time (as I foresee little time in college for such ventures). I've listed them in the order I inted to read them. I'm almost halfway through "Reimaging Evangelism" by Rick Richardson. It's a good, solid read. The authors gives insight into newer, fresher ways to evangelize to the emerging world (ie, postmoderns). Much of what he's said I've heard in church from Greg and others, but its nice to have a refreshing exposure to it again.



But of course, four books weren't enough. I was talking to my friend Joe on the phone once during Urbana. He was expressing great joy in a book he was reading entitled "Velvet Elvis." The name alone intrigued me, and I just so coincidentally found a number of copies of this book on sale at BORDERS for $3.99. I bought one. Now here's the deal. I hardly ever, and I mean ever, read a book somebody has recommended to me. Not because I don't trust their taste in books, or becasue I don't care - I just have never been much of a reader. I anticipate enjoying the aforementioned books, and will probably want to recommend at least some of them to others. If my recommendation recipients don't wish to read the books, no offense taken because I never read your recommendations either. Maybe "Velvet Elvis" will help change this flaw of judgement in me. The complete title is, "Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith." I read the intro, and it was intriguing.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger sarah said…

    well...
    i DO like recommendations, but only if they come from people who have similar interests and know me.

    let me know how those books turn out!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home